CFB: SUGAR BOWL - UTAH vs. ALABAMA (8:15 PM ET, FOX)
The BCS continues on Friday night with an unusual matchup between the Mountain West Conference and the SEC, as Utah and Alabama go head-to-head with the Tide installed as a 9-point favorite. The 12-0 Utes are crashing the BCS party and thrilled to be in N
The BCS continues on Friday night with an unusual matchup between the Mountain West Conference and the SEC, as Utah and Alabama go head-to-head with the Tide installed as a 9-point favorite. The 12-0 Utes are crashing the BCS party and thrilled to be in New Orleans. ‘Bama wished it was playing next Thursday in the title game. Will motivation be the difference?
What mindset does Alabama bring to the Sugar Bowl? Are they angry about losing to Florida or do they have hangover like many unbeaten teams before them losing last game. The Crimson Tide ended up 9-4 ATS this season and 3rd in the country on defense. At least they will have Nick Saban harping at them to finish. Besides trying to complete a perfect season, Utah has the added pressure of trying to uphold the non-BCS schools and make people believe Hawaii just wasn't ready for the big stage. The Utes are 23-9 ATS as an underdog of 3.5 to 10 points and can make even further noise about a playoff system with the upset. Utah has been one the best bowl team's period with 10-3 and 8-3 ATS record.
Sugar Bowl Series Trend: In each of the past two seasons, a SEC team has taken on a BCS-crashing school in the Sugar Bowl and has throttled them, 41-14 & 41-10. Overall, the SEC has enjoyed great success in this bowl series, going 6-1 SU & 5-2 ATS in the last seven. Five of those games also went UNDER the total.
Top ATS Trend
• UTAH is 23-9 ATS (+13.1 Units) when playing with 2 weeks or more of rest since 1992. The average score was UTAH 28.9, OPPONENT 17.4 - (Rating = 1*)
Top Totals Trend
• UTAH is 15-4 UNDER (+10.6 Units) in road games off a win by 10 points or more over a conference rival since 1992. The average score was UTAH 24.8, OPPONENT 20.0 - (Rating = 1*)
Recent UTAH Bowl Game Trends
* UTAH boasts a 7-bowl game winning streak, going 5-2 ATS in that span.
* UTAH is 5-1 ATS as a bowl game underdog since '92.
* The UNDER the total is 7-2-1 in UTAH's L10 bowl games.
Recent ALABAMA Bowl Game Trends
* Alabama is just 2-5 ATS in its L7 bowl games.
* As a bowl game favorite, Alabama is 3-1 ATS in its L4.
* Alabama's L6 bowl games have been decided by 6 pts or less.
StatFox Forecaster says: ALABAMA 32, UTAH 20
College Football News
Click here to read latest College Football news