CFB: Sun Bowl - Oregon State vs. Pittsburgh (2:00 PM ET, CBS)
The Sun Bowl has become well-known to bettors as an underdog dominated series, as that side of the pointspread has gone 10-1-1 ATS in the L12. If such remains the case in 2008
The Sun Bowl has become well-known to bettors as an underdog dominated series, as that side of the pointspread has gone 10-1-1 ATS in the L12. If such remains the case in 2008, Pittsburgh will be the one celebrating the New Year holiday more fiercely. Oregon State, the 3-point favorite, and 55% of Sportsbook.com players are hoping to turn the tide though.
The Sun Bowl was able to secure two Top 25 teams and has one of the better non-BCS matchups. If freshman Jacquizz Rodgers is healthy for Oregon State (8-4 SU & ATS), this will set up a hookup between two of the nation's most exciting running backs. Pittsburgh's LeSean McCoy is sensational runner and totaled 21 touchdowns in 2008. Both squads overcame slow starts to finish strong. The Panthers (9-3, 6-6 ATS) closed 4-1 straight up and ATS, but were sloppy with the ball and are 3-16 ATS after consecutive games committing three or more turnovers. The Beavers were a busy 8-2 ATS after losing first two, and are 8-0 ATS after covering the spread in two of last three games. Oregon State is on 4-0 and 3-1 ATS in recent bowls; Pitt plays in the postseason for first time since 2002.
Sun Bowl Series Trend: The Sun Bowl underdog trend that stood unbeaten in 10 straight seasons came to a halt in '05 when Northwestern blew a 22-point first quarter lead in losing to UCLA. However, after Missouri's ATS win a year ago, UNDERDOGS still own a 10-1-1 ATS in the L12. Pac 10 teams are 7-3-1 ATS in the L11.
Top ATS Trend
• Riley is 28-16 ATS (+10.4 Units) as a favorite as the coach of OREGON ST. The average score was OREGON ST 30.8, OPPONENT 19.1 - (Rating = 1*)
Top Totals Trend
• Riley is 22-9 OVER (+12.1 Units) when playing against a team with a winning record as the coach of OREGON ST. The average score was OREGON ST 26.6, OPPONENT 31.8 - (Rating = 2*)
Recent OREGON STATE Bowl Game Trends
* OREGON ST boasts a 4-game SU bowl game winning streak, all as favorite.
* The OVER is 4-1 in OREGON ST's L5 totaled bowl games.
* OREGON ST continues a trend of never having been a bowl game underdog.
Recent PITTSBURGH Bowl Game Trends
* PITTSBURGH last met Oregon State in '02 Insight Bowl, winning 38-13.
* The L2 PITTSBURGH bowl games have gone UNDER the total by 20.0 PPG.
* PITTSBURGH is 3-2 SU & ATS in L5 bowl games vs. fellow BCS leagues.
StatFox Outplay Factor Ratings say: OREGON STATE by 2
College Football News
Click here to read latest College Football news